If your loved one is discharged from the hospital to a skilled nursing facility (SNF), their care will be in the hands of a team of specialists. It’s a good idea to understand the players’ roles so you know whom to call upon for what.
- Director of nursing. This professional oversees residents’ medical issues. Also, the nursing staff. Their job includes tracking delivery of prescriptions and monitoring each resident’s physical health. They also work with the SNF’s doctor to carry out orders for therapy.
- Social workers. Trained to address social, emotional, and psychological issues, social workers help residents and families adjust to life in the facility. When the time comes for discharge, they also help ease the transition. If there’s something you want done differently with your loved one, you might start a conversation with the social worker.
- Certified nursing assistants (CNAs). The CNAs are the frontline staff. From answering a call button to helping with bathing and dressing, they are often the biggest part of your relative’s daily experience.
- Therapists. Depending on your loved one’s challenges, daily therapy may be required. A physical therapist helps improve walking, range of motion, stamina, and flexibility. A speech therapist helps residents recover language abilities. Or overcome swallowing problems. An occupational therapist uses exercises and assistive devices to regain daily life skills. They teach new strategies for self-care tasks such as feeding, dressing, and bathing.
- Dietitian. Every resident has a food plan. This is based on their personal preferences and any medical restrictions (e.g., low fat, low salt, low sugar).
- Activities director. This professional organizes activities for residents’ social and mental stimulation.
- Housekeeping. Is the bed rail not releasing? Is there a spill to be cleaned? These are responsibilities of the housekeeping staff.
This post is brought to you by Guardian Angel Hospice.
Might you or a loved one benefit from hospice care?
Check out our services
- Hospice in Kokomo and surrounding communities
- Hospice in Logansport and surrounding communities
- Hospice in Lafayette and surrounding communities
- Hospice in Lebanon and surrounding communities
- Hospice in Frankfort and surrounding communities
- Hospice in Carmel and surrounding communities
- Hospice in Indianapolis and surrounding communities